I've finally had a chance to do a bit of work on coming up to speed with Silverlight and thought I'd share my findings and get some feedback.
I've created a Calculator site with a couple (so far) of pages written in Silverlight:
Findings from my point of view and my skill set:
Advantages of Silverlight
- Language is C# so zero learning curve on that part.
- Tools (VS2008 and Blend) are very good - Intellisense made the learning curve less steep for the Silverlight library, architecture and controls.
- Web resources good - I hit plenty of small problems (like hosting this on Server 2003) but after a bit of searching found answers to all problems.
Disadvantages of Silverlight
- So far I've only been able to get those pages to work in IE and Chrome and can't get them to work in Firefox.
- Opera is not supported yet.
- Not everyone will want to install the Silverlight plugin to view those pages.